Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nap time

We went to church this morning and then went out to eat. When we got home Abby was way past her nap time and very crabby. We were all pretty tired (or so I thought at the time) so we all decided to take a nap. I put Abby down in her room and Alex climbed into bed with Henry and me (mistake #1). Alex usually has a favorite toy that he sleeps with. This time it was a Lego boat (mistake #2). So he's laying in between us making boat noises, taking the pieces off and putting them back on again, sitting up and laying down to make his boat sail all over, etc.... By this point I'm going nuts so being the mean mom that I am I take the boat away. Next he starts pulling the covers up and then kicking them off, crawling under the covers to hide, leaning on his dad's head, and being an all around pest. So I kicked him out of our bed and put him on the little toddler mattress that's set up by our bed and tell him to go to sleep (we just got our carpets cleaned so his room isn't set up yet). By this point Henry's sawing logs and I'm irritated that I'm not. I don't know how he could fall asleep, but he did. He claims he was awake but it's awful hard to be awake and snoring at the same time. Guess what Alex has to do next??? Go stinker. I bet he sat on the pot for at least 10 minutes. After potty time he finds a hat on the floor next to his bed and starts playing with it and humming. So I take the hat away. Then he lays there and hums and talks to himself and plays with the corner of his blankets. By this point I figure that there is no way that I am going to be able to sleep. The kid is nowhere near sleep. The the doorbell rings and I cringe hoping that it doesn't wake Abby up. By this point she's only been sleeping 45 minutes to an hour and she usually sleeps at least 2 hrs. I just ignored the door the first time because I know that it's one of Alex's little friends. 5 minutes later it rings again. I ran down to the door with strict instructions for Alex to not get out of bed. I tell Nick (Alex's friend from 2 houses over) that Alex can't play because he's napping. Nick leaves. I go back up stairs and shut my eyes. Then I hear Abby. The doorbell woke her up. She's talking to herself and playing in the crib. I cross my fingers that she'll go back to sleep. 5 minutes later the doorbell rings again. This time it's Nicks mom wanting to know if Nicks in the house. I tell her that he's not and she spies him at the house next to ours. By this point I know that sleep will not be coming to me this afternoon.... it's so sad. I tell Alex that he can get up. He wants to know if he did a good job sleeping so that he can get a cupcake and watch his Batman cartoon that we rented for him. I tell him that he did a terrible job but that he can have the treat and the movie anyway. I then get Abby up and change her diaper. It was almost an up the backer - disgusting. The doorbell rings again. It's Alex's little friend Alex from 3 houses over. I let Alex go out and play. Henry ended up getting a 2 hr and 45 minute nap when all was said and done (and Abby and I had to wake him up). It must be rough to be dad. :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,
This is Margaret Traudt, Steph's mom. I so enjoy reading all the blogs of you young mothers. You all do such a wonderful job (mothering and blogging). And, thanks for changing your comment page so I can do that easily!
I wanted to tell you how impressed I am that little kids today still know Popeye and that there's even Popeye spinach. Cool! Have you tried fresh spinach? He might like that better. I know I do! Also, I certainly identify with the cupboard handle project. I did that a few years back and was astonished at the price, but it was well worth it. And, your sleeping post reminds me of the Sunday morning I was at Steph's alone with the girls when Emily locked the bathroom door and Bella barked and woke up Bri.
Have a great week!

Jess said...

Hi Margaret! Thanks for the spinach tip, I will have to try the fresh. The cooked looked terrible and the smell reminded me of the Timothy hay that we use to feed to our rabbit. I couldn't hack it.
It's fun to have them watch the cartoons that I watched when I was little. I like them so much better then some of the cartoons they have now. I tried to get a Flinstones cartoon for him to watch but I can't find any. He eats the Flinstones vitamins and always asks me who the characters are. Oh well.
Alex has locked the bathroom doors also. Fortunately he wasn't in the bathroom and we have a second one, so we weren't in a huge hurry to figure out how to unlock it. It wasn't fun to take the doorknob off.
Thanks for the comment! Hope you have a great week too!